Saturday, March 15, 2008

How to kill and rescue a DX-7 Radio

Well to be honest, i am no the best soldering guy but i managed after an initial learning curve (Killed a XBOX once) to extend my soldering skill. Now i liked the fact that i could extend the battery life of my radion controller by replacing the voltage regulator. You can find some details here: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/appnotes/spektrum_mod/spektrum_mod.htm

Now to the ugly part, i desoldered the old voltage regulator and everything whent fine, but i made a misstake with the last pin (VIN) and the pin comes of with the traces on the pcb (short piece of it). After screaming some strange sentences...i calmed and started to bring out my voltmeter and where looking for traces and lucky me i found some. Because VOUT and GND where still intact it was a piece of cake and did cost me only to add a small cable from another connector to the voltage regulator.

I did test it within my basement of the house and it seems to work. PUH! I have to test it in the wild maybe tomorrow. Anyway i am happy that now my readio is working again.

Here are some pictures:

1. The destructed traces (The most left one)
2. Completed fix (Still ugly soldering but i was very scary to kill others again




3 Comments:

Blogger Amjad said...

A useful tip. When discarding components such as the voltage regulator, easiest way is to cut of each leg. Removing each solder point separately. You need a lot less thermal load = less risk of damage.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well originally I had soldered it ok but for the bearing mod I had to remove the spektrum board and one of the screws was underneath the dimensionengineering voltage regulator so I tried to raise the regulator hoping the pins would just bend a little but NO they decided to come out taking the PCB layout with them :( Unfortunately both the VIN and VOUT are bad now :( does any one have wiring diagram for VOUT?

2:03 PM  
Blogger THE RAP DJ said...

espaƱol:(texto original....
saludos ante que nada me presento mi nombre en la red
es "track7" por motivios personales no dire mi
nombre ..................el hecho es que soy un fiel
usuario de black track y me gustaria saber como intarlo
en mi pc....................mi correo es el sigiente
info@producer-tv.site40.net
ingles:traduccion:
greetings to all I am my name on the network
is track7 "motivi per non dire my personal
.................. name is the fact that I am a faithful
black track user and would like to know how intarlo
.................... in my pc my email is the sigiente
info@producer-tv.site40.net

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home